Guiding You
Towards Legalization

Santa Ana IR-2 Visa Lawyers Helping US Citizens Get Green Cards for Their Children

If you’re a United States citizen with foreign-born children who reside outside the US, you have a right to petition them to come to this country to live with you. The simplest way to do this is to apply for the IR-2 visa, an immediate relative visa that provides eligible children with green cards. If your family qualifies for the IR-2 visa, you can bring your children to the US to give them the same opportunities you enjoy here.

At US Migration Solution, PLLC, we realize how confusing the immigration laws in the United States are. We want to help you understand the IR-2 visa process so it goes as smoothly and quickly as possible. If you’re eager to take the first step toward bringing your children home, contact our skilled IR-2 visa lawyers in Santa Ana.

What Is the IR-2 Visa?

If you have close family members who do not live in the US, you can bring them here via an immediate relative (IR) visa. You can choose from five IR visas depending on the relative you plan to bring to the US, as each visa is meant for a different scenario involving a spouse, child, or parent.

The IR-2 visa is specifically meant to allow children who are unmarried and under age 21 to immigrate to this country, as long as at least one parent is a US citizen. In fact, IR-2 visas are also often called children’s green cards.

If your child is under 18 when they get the IR-2 visa, they will automatically get US citizenship when they come to live with you. If they’re 18 or older, they will be given permanent residency and can eventually apply for naturalization. In both cases, they can work and study in the US when they get their visa and arrive at their new home.

If you need clarification on whether the IR-2 visa is the right choice for your children, contact our Santa Ana law firm to learn more. Our caring, knowledgeable lawyers will review the details of your case and let you know which visa will achieve the immigration goals you have for your family.

Who Is Eligible for the IR-2 Visa?

Before applying for the IR-2 visa, make sure you and your child qualify for it, as there are strict guidelines that everyone involved in the process must meet. First, as the sponsor, all of the following must be true:

  • You’re a US citizen
  • You have had legal custody of your child for at least two years
  • You lived with the child for two or more years outside the US
  • If you adopted the child, the adoption has to have been finalized before they turned 16

If you meet all of these qualifications, the next step is to ensure your child also meets the criteria. They must be:

  • Under age 21
  • Unmarried
  • Have at least one parent who is a US citizen

If you’re the father and not married to the child’s other parent, you must take a paternity test to prove that you’re the biological father before you can sponsor the child. If you plan to sponsor your stepchild, you must have married their birth parent before the child turned 18.

These are the most important criteria to know about before you apply for an IR-2 visa. But if you have a more complicated situation and need answers to put your mind at ease, contact our experienced Santa Ana IR-2 visa lawyers for legal guidance.

What Can You Expect from the IR-2 Visa Application Process?

If you feel confident that your family is eligible for this type of immediate relative visa, the next step is to meet with a trusted Santa Ana immigration lawyer who will walk you through the process. In most cases, you’ll start by filing a Petition for Alien Relative and then send proof of your parent/child relationship. This typically means you must send a copy of the child’s birth certificate or adoption paperwork.

You must also send a copy of your birth certificate or passport to show you’re a US citizen. Additional information to send will typically include:

  • Two recent pictures of your child
  • Their passport, which must be valid for at least six more months
  • An agreement that you’ll be financially responsible for your child
  • Their medical exam results and vaccination records
  • Proof that your child lived with you outside of the US for at least two years

The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will contact you to request any additional information and schedule an interview with your child. In the meantime, your IR-2 visa lawyer will keep you informed on anything else to include with the application.

Why Should You Hire IR-2 Visa Lawyers in Santa Ana?

The IR-2 visa process is relatively straightforward and typically takes one year or less as long as you meet the eligibility guidelines and send in the requested information. However, this can be difficult to do without the help of a legal professional, as there are a lot of forms and deadlines to keep track of. That’s why you should talk to experienced IR-2 visa lawyers in Santa Ana before you begin this legal process.

When you come to US Migration Solution, PLLC for assistance with the IR-2 visa application, you will work with caring, trusted attorneys who will ensure you complete all the paperwork accurately and send the correct supporting documents. We have helped numerous clients get green cards for their relatives, so we understand how important it is for you to get your children IR-2 visas as soon as possible. Call our Santa Ana law office at 305-680-1432 to discuss your case with our compassionate, Spanish-speaking IR-2 visa lawyers.

Back To top