Guiding You
Towards Legalization

Santa Ana IR-3 Adoption Visa Lawyers Helping Parents Pursue Green Cards for Children Adopted Abroad

If you’re preparing to go to another country to adopt a child, you will need to have the right immigration documents to bring them to live with you in the United States. In your case, this means you must apply for the IR-3 visa, which is specifically for children who are adopted abroad by a US citizen.

When you obtain this visa for your adopted child, they’re granted US citizenship automatically. But the process of applying for it can be complicated, so you’ll benefit from the legal guidance of the skilled IR-3 adoption visa lawyers at US Migration Solution, PLLC. Contact our Santa Ana law firm today to learn more about this visa and initiate the application process.

What Is the IR-3 Adoption Visa?

There are many situations where US citizens want to bring family members to live with them, and the immediate relative (IR) visa category seeks to streamline this process. The IR visa that’s right for your family depends on who you wish to bring to the US and the circumstances of their arrival.

For example, if you plan to adopt a child from another country, you’ll need either the IR-3 or IR-4 visa. The IR-3 visa is appropriate if you plan to complete the adoption process in the child’s country of origin, while the IR-4 visa is necessary if you complete the adoption in the US.

If you adopt a child in their home country and apply for the IR-3 visa, they will typically be granted US citizenship or permanent residency, depending on their age at the time of adoption. This allows them to attend school and find work in the US. If you want your adopted child to experience the benefits of this green card, contact our Santa Ana IR-3 adoption visa lawyers to learn more.

Who Qualifies for an IR-3 Adoption Visa?

As with any visa, the sponsor and child must meet strict requirements to get the IR-3 visa. Your family immigration lawyer can look at your specific case to ensure that you’re eligible based on the requirements given by US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The following must be true:

  • The parent is a US citizen with a US address
  • The child is under 21 years old
  • The child is from either a Hague or Non-Hague Convention country
  • The child is eligible for adoption according to the US Immigration and Nationality Act
  • The parent intends to bring the child to the US
  • The parent will consent to an eligibility test given by the USCIS

When you schedule an initial consultation with the skilled IR-3 adoption visa lawyers at our Santa Ana law office, you can determine if you’re eligible for this visa. If you’re not, we will direct you toward another type of visa that may work better for your circumstances, such as an IR-2 or IR-4. We know how important it is to bring your child home to your US residence as soon as possible, so we’ll work hard to meet your immigration needs.

How Does the Child’s Home Country Affect the IR-3 Adoption Visa Process?

The legal process of obtaining this visa varies depending on whether the child is from a Hague Convention country or a Non-Hague Convention country. This is because the Hague Convention set up an international agreement with safeguards to protect children from illegal or unsafe adoptions abroad.

Hague Convention Countries

If you’re adopting from a Hague Convention country, start by choosing a US-approved adoption service provider. You can then file Form I-800A with USCIS to ensure you’re eligible to adopt. Once you’re matched with a child, you must complete Form I-800 to ensure they will be eligible to immigrate as an immediate relative after they’re adopted.

If the USCIS accepts this form, you will file Form DS-260, Online Immigrant Visa Application, to provide information about the child’s background. If the child is legally allowed to immigrate to the US, you will receive Article 5/17 and can send in their passport and birth certificate. You will then need to attend an interview at the US Embassy and show your adoption order to complete the IR-3 visa application.

Non-Hague Convention Countries

If you’re adopting a child from a Non-Hague Convention country, you first must decide which country you want to adopt from. Then you can choose an adoption center there. Next, you’ll file Form I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of an Orphan Petition.

USCIS will perform a background check and home study to ensure you’re eligible for an adoption order. If you are, then once you match with a child, you must file Form I-600 to ensure that the US will let them immigrate. Be sure to include their birth certificate, evidence that they’re eligible for adoption, and proof that you plan to adopt them. USCIS will then complete Form I-604, at which point you can send in Form DS-260 and schedule an interview at the US Embassy to get the IR-3 visa.

How Can IR-3 Adoption Visa Lawyers Help with Your Case?

If you’re concerned that you’ll complete the wrong forms or skip an important step in the process, you’re not alone. Most adoptive parents need legal assistance to not only finalize the adoption, but also obtain the appropriate visa. If you want to ensure your child gets the correct visa before they arrive in the US, you should hire experienced IR-3 adoption visa lawyers for your case.

When you hire US Migration Solution, PLLC, you’ll get legal guidance from skilled attorneys who will walk you through every step of the visa application process. If you’re ready to talk to caring Santa Ana lawyers who will get you the adoption visa you need, call us at 305-680-1432 for an initial consultation.

Back To top